Spies are Scared of Turtles

Spies are Scared of Turtles
Current Issue: Winter 2017

The Sweet Smell of Slushies

Livia Johnson, age 11
Slauson Middle School


“Oh my gosh,” I said out loud. I was standing in front of the biggest roller coaster I had ever seen. It was a huge rickety wooden roller coaster, not like the baby ones I had been on before . . . because, well I’m a scaredy cat.

As we are walking through the line, all I could hear was the fear in my uncle’s voice saying, “Do we have to go?” to my mom as she was standing there jumping up and down with excitement. And my grandpa . . . well he’s a tough guy, but when it comes to roller coasters he will not do it!

In my mouth I could taste the sour feeling you get when there isn’t enough sugar in lemonade and you really want to just spit it out, but you can’t because you have to be polite about it and just drink it.


I could smell the repulsive sweaty people around me and had to cover my nose with my hand because it was that gross. But on the bright side, I could smell the sweet smell of slushies.