Spies are Scared of Turtles

Spies are Scared of Turtles
Current Issue: Winter 2017

Breaking and Entering

Henry Ortiz, age 11 
Maltby Intermediate

“Hey Mom, can I go up to Cullen’s house?”

“Sure,” said Mom. 

“Thanks, Mom!” I dashed out of the house quick as lightening and ran up the hill as fast as a bullet. I felt like I was in a race. 

When I got to Cullen’s house, I immediately rang the doorbell. I couldn’t wait to see Cullen’s smiling face. Then when nobody answered I rang the doorbell again. I finally got something, except it wasn’t Cullen, it was a barking Molly. That’s when I realized Cullen and his family weren’t there. So, I walked around the house and I went in through the side door. I was going through the garage and went to the door and pushed with all my might. I grunted and Molly trotted up to me. I could smell Molly’s toxic breath and I went past her.

 I looked around and then I had an idea. I went to the den to get a piece of paper with Molly following. I wrote:  

“Dear Cullen, hi. How are you? Where are you? Maybe you can stop by my house later. From, Henry.”

I put the note on the kitchen counter and ran back down the hill to my house. I opened the door and Mom said, “Oh, hi Henry. Where were you? I thought you and Cullen were playing.”

“Uh . . . ” I stammered. “They weren’t home.”

“So what were you doing this whole time?” my Mom asked.

“Uh . . . I went in their house.”

“YOU WHAT!?!?!?!?!?” Mom yelled.

“I went into their house and left a note for Cullen.”

Mom sighed and started to explain why I shouldn’t enter people’s houses when they’re not home. Mom went to get her phone to apologize. Cullen’s family found my note when they got home and they all thought it was funny. My note now hangs up on their fridge.

Now I know not to break into people’s houses. I won’t be breaking and entering into anyone’s house again.